Tuesday, March 22, 2011

March 21, 2011 Beepistle: Workshop Saturday, April 23@ 1-3:30 PM rain or shine, Nucs, Queens and Equipment for sale

March 21, 2011 Beepistle: Workshop Saturday, April 23@ 1-3:30 PM rain or shine, Nucs, Queens and Equipment for sale
Dear Beekeeper,
If you haven’t already done so, please change my email to lindenap@gmail.com. To receive my beepistles and emails, send me an email and be sure lindenap@gmail.com and cfandros@myfairpoint.net are in your Safe Senders List, contacts, or address book, to avoid them being rejected as Spam!


Happy Spring! I arrived from my stay in Brasil on the 17th, and found about 12" of snow on the ground here in southwest NH, USA, at 1170' (365 m). It has melted quickly, but more is now falling! Quite a difference from Brasil, where wine grapes were still in season in the deep south, along with kiwis and persimmons. There are many Italian descendants, and some of the 3rd generation still speak the old tongue. At my mother’s place, in the Connecticut River Valley at 400' (122 m), winter aconite, Eranthis hyemalis, as well as snowdrops, Galanthus nivalis, and snowflakes, or Leucojum vernum, are in bloom. With the warm weather we have had, the bees have been foraging vigorously! I have been taking snowy walks the last few days. Yesterday I went to a sugarhouse and tasted the fresh maple syrup! It is a real pleasure to be back in New England!
Saturday I looked at my bees, and they look great, as I only lost one! I’m now taking orders for 3-frame nuclei to stock your hives. I’m offering nuclei with 3 deep wooden frames (no junk comb or frames!) of mostly-sealed brood and +/-3# of bees from my Connecticut River Valley colonies, and a new tested, clipped and marked, hygienic, tracheal and varroa mite resistant, winter-hardy, gentle, Carniolan x Italian queen for starting colonies, to be picked up at my residence. Let me know ASAP if you want to order nucs and how many (see about queens below). Price is $125, and nucs will be installed in your equipment, with no frame exchange. To secure a date, send $125 for each nucleus desired. I don’t accept credit or debit cards. Make the check or money order to my name and send to:
Charles F. Andros
POB 165
Walpole, NH 03608
Your pickup date depends upon posting date of letter. First sent, first served. If I don't have your home phone, address, and phone, I'll need it. There is a $5 per order cancellation fee. I start in May, and booking dates given are approximate, as I’m at the mercy of Nature. I book conservatively, so often get ahead of schedule.
I have the equipment to get you started if you don’t. I sell pre-paraffinned woodenware, which prevents warping, checking, and rot. You never need to paint, and it is non-toxic! Frames are not waxed, however. Let me know what you need ASAP. I’ll soon be revising my pricelist and ordering more equipment. Price list is available on request for the full array of equipment that I sell.
Nuclei develop 5-6 weeks ahead of packages with much less supersedure problems due to population age imbalances before brood starts to hatch. Packages that lose queens can develop laying workers in a hurry!
For each nucleus, you need to bring on your pickup day a deep super (or 2 mediums with 14 frames total) with 7 preferably dark brood comb frames with little or no honey so I can inspect for disease (mold is normal) (bring new frames if old unavailable), an inner cover, and a bottom board. Bottom board may be stapled or screwed on with entrance and inner cover hole screened (no entrance reducer) to speed installation, however I can handle all of this here while you wait if you don’t have the material. No outer cover, please. Instructions are included!
I plan to have hygienic New World Carniolan x Italian queen bees available after April 23. Price will be $24, shipped for $29. Let me know ASAP when you need queens. Shipment is after receipt of your check when available. I need your mailing address and home, work, and cell phone numbers to ship queens. Let your postmaster know that you are expecting queens, and that you don’t want to receive them in your roadside mailbox! Included with the queen are detailed introduction instructions. If you are going to pick up queens, bring a quart-size container with a lid, such as for yogurt. I can put your caged queens in, and add bees and candy outside the cages, and put on the lid, in which I’ll poke holes for air.
I put on 4 workshops per season, at $35 each, children under 18 free when accompanied by adult. All held at my home from 1-3:30 PM . Look for the "BEE" sign on the south side of Walpole Valley Road (follow my directions at bottom!) Bring a veil, if you have one, as we shall be opening some colonies. Water, sunscreen, and lawn chair also a plus. We'll be inside if it is a rainy day. Registration required. email: lindenap@gmail.com or call 603-756-9056. See the directions below my signature if you haven't been before.

"Charles Andros, former NH/VT Apiary Inspector, will hold a beekeeping workshop from 1-3:30 PM on Saturday, April 23, at 18 MacLean Road, Alstead, NH 03602. Look for the "BEE" sign on the south side of Walpole Valley Road. Topics of discussion will be early spring management: locating apiaries, equipment, handling bees, feeding syrup and supplements, making nuclei, reversing, and requeening. Bring a veil, if you have one, as we shall be opening some colonies. We'll be inside if it is a rainy day. Registration required. email:
lindenap@gmail.com or call 603-756-9056."

"Charles Andros, former NH/VT Apiary Inspector, will hold a beekeeping workshop from 1-3:30 PM on Saturday, May 14, at 18 MacLean Road, Alstead, NH 03602. Look for the "BEE" sign on the south side of Walpole Valley Road. Topics of discussion: finding queens, requeening and 2-queen colonies, pollen collection, swarm control, supering, and bee venom therapy. Bring a veil, if you have one, as we shall be opening some colonies. We'll be inside if it is a rainy day. Registration required. email:
lindenap@gmail.com or call 603-756-9056."

"Beekeepers must take timely steps to control American Foulbrood and Varroa mites to SAVE THE BEES! Charles Andros, former NH/VT Apiary Inspector, will hold a beekeeping workshop from 1-3:30 PM on Saturday, July 9, at 18 MacLean Road, Alstead, NH 03602. Look for the "BEE" sign on the south side of Walpole Valley Road. The topics of discussion will be taking off and extracting honey, wax processing, treatment of mites and foulbrood, and making propolis tincture. Bring a veil, if you have one, as we shall be opening some colonies. We'll be inside if it is a rainy day. Water and chair may also come in handy. Registration required. email:
lindenap@gmail.com or call 603-756-9056."

"Charles Andros, former NH/VT Apiary Inspector, will hold a beekeeping workshop from 1-3:30 PM on Saturday, September 10, at 18 MacLean Road, Alstead, NH 03602. Look for the "BEE" sign on the south side of Walpole Valley Road. Topics of discussion will include treatment of nosema and mites, winter preparations, winter protein and carbohydrate supplements, and making beeswax handcreams. Bring a veil, if you have one, as we shall be opening some colonies. We'll be inside if it is a rainy day. Water and chair may also come in handy. Registration required. email: lindenap@gmail.com
or call 603-756-9056."

Be sure to inform me of email address changes! Let me know anytime if you want to be removed my list. Fill me in on how your girls are doing! Fortunately, it seems CCD is fading nationwide. The real cause is yet to be found.

Bee Hopeful!

Charles Frederic Andros
Linden Apiaries since 1973
lindenap@gmail.com, cfandros@myfairpoint.net
603-756-9056 , Skype charlesandros
P. O. Box 165
Walpole, NH 03608-0165

Speaker, Eastern Apicultural Society Conference 2001, on Propolis and Pollen Production
NH/VT Apiary Inspector 1978-1989
Keeper of 50 two-queen colonies for unheated honey, fresh-frozen pollen, Bee Complex facial, propolis tincture, beeswax, candles, apitherapy, nuclei, pollination, workshops, consulting, and beekeeping supplies.

(delivery address (not for USPS!): 18 MacLean Road, Alstead, NH 03602
Latitude 43° 04' 50.5" North, Longitude 72° 21' 12.25" West WGS 1984, Elevation 366 meters

"Learn, experiment, innovate, educate!"

(BEWARE INTERNET MAPS THAT SEND YOU ON WASHED OUT ROADS AND BRIDGES, AND NAVIGATORS THAT PUT ME A MILE UP MACLEAN ROAD!!)
 

I am about 1 hour south of White River Junction, 40 minutes north from Brattleboro, and 20-25 minutes north of Keene.

No comments:

Post a Comment